When starting treatment for depression associated with bipolar disorder, Symbyax dosage guidelines recommend 6/25 mg, taken once a day in the evening. The medication comes in capsule form, and should be taken at the same time each day to ensure a successful treatment process. If necessary, your healthcare provider can increase your Symbyax dosage for better control of your symptoms.
Symbyax Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Symbyax® (olanzapine and fluoxetine) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As always, do not adjust your Symbyax dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Symbyax Dosage for Bipolar Disorder or Treatment-Resistant DepressionThe recommended starting dose of Symbyax for treatment-resistant depression or depression associated with bipolar disorder is Symbyax 6/25 mg, taken once daily in the evening. Your healthcare provider can increase your dosage, if necessary, to control your bipolar disorder symptoms.
Some people, including children or adolescents (age 10 through 17 years of age), people with liver problems, or people with low blood pressure (hypotension), may be more sensitive to the effects of Symbyax. For these people, a lower starting dose (Symbyax 3/25 mg once daily) may be recommended.
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day in the evening.
- You can take Symbyax with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Symbyax should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels in your blood.
- For Symbyax to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Symbyax or your Symbyax dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Withdrawal From Symbyax).