Symbyax and Dry Mouth
Side effects are possible with Symbyax, and dry mouth is one of the most common. To relieve this, try avoiding drinks with caffeine and sipping water or sugarless drinks often. If, when taking Symbyax, dry mouth continues to be a problem, your healthcare provider may recommend artificial saliva, adjust your Symbyax dose, or recommend another bipolar disorder medicine.
Does Symbyax Cause a Dry Mouth?Symbyax® (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is a prescription medicine used to treat depression that is associated with bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression). Like other medicines, it can cause side effects, one of which is a dry month. In fact, dry mouth is one of the most common side effects of the drug. Previous clinical studies have shown that up to 15 percent of people reported it when taking Symbyax.
Symbyax and Dry Mouth: SuggestionsIf you are taking Symbyax and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
If you have a dry mouth while taking Symbyax and the suggestions listed in this article do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend treatments, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Symbyax dosage or try another medication for bipolar disorder.