Risperidone Side Effects
Some common side effects of risperidone include drowsiness, an increased appetite, and upper respiratory infections. A few less common side effects with risperidone include anemia, hair loss, and asthma. While side effects of this medication are usually minor, certain risperidone side effects (such as rapid weight gain, a fast heart rate, and thoughts of suicide) are more serious and should be immediately reported to your healthcare provider.
An Introduction to Risperidone Side EffectsAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with risperidone (Risperdal®). However, not everyone who takes risperidone will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with risperidone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of risperidone side effects with you.)
Common Risperidone Side EffectsRisperidone has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to the side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common risperidone side effects included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 67 percent of people
- An increased appetite -- up to 49 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 34 percent
Fatigue -- in up to 30 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 26 percent (see Risperdal and Insomnia)
- Agitation -- up to 26 percent
- Increased salivation -- up to 22 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 20 percent
Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 18 percent
Heartburn or indigestion -- up to 16 percent
Nausea -- up to 16 percent
Dizziness -- up to 16 percent.
Some of the other common risperidone side effects (occurring in 1 to 13 percent of people) included:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dry mouth (see Risperdal and Dry Mouth)
- Indigestion or heartburn
- An irritated or runny nose
- A sore throat
- Vision changes
- Problems with bladder control
- Muscle pain, chest pain, joint pain, or back pain
- Weight gain (see Risperdal and Weight Gain)
- Sinus infections
- Dry skin
- Confusion or decreased concentration
- Sexual problems (see Risperdal Sexual Side Effects)