Bipolar Disorder Channel
Topics & Medications
Related Channels

Olanzapine Dosing

Olanzapine Dosing for Bipolar Mania or Mixed Episodes

The recommended starting oral olanzapine dose for manic or mixed episodes of bipolar disorder is olanzapine 10 mg to 15 mg once daily. If bipolar disorder symptoms continue after several weeks, your healthcare provider may increase the olanzapine dosage.
If olanzapine is used in combination with lithium (Eskalith®, Lithobid®) or valproate products (Depakene®, Depakote®, Depakote ER®), the recommended starting dose is generally olanzapine 10 mg once daily.
Once your bipolar symptoms are improved, your healthcare provider may choose to stop the olanzapine or keep you on olanzapine at doses of olanzapine 5 mg to 20 mg per day. The maximum recommended dose for olanzapine is 20 mg per day.
The recommended starting oral olanzapine dose for treating manic or mixed episodes in adolescents (age 13 to 17) is 2.5 to 5 mg once daily, with a target dose of 10 mg per day (although higher doses may sometimes be necessary).

Olanzapine Dosage for Bipolar Depression or Treatment-Resistant Depression

When combined with fluoxetine (Prozac®), oral olanzapine is approved treat depression associated with bipolar disorder or treatment-resistant depression (depression that has not responded to at least two different antidepressants). The starting dosage is fluoxetine 20 mg daily, in combination with olanzapine 5 mg daily. Your healthcare provider may adjust your dosage of each medication as necessary.
For children and adolescents with bipolar depression, the starting dosage is usually olanzapine 2.5 mg in combination with 20 mg of fluoxetine, once daily. 
4 Relationship Skills for People With ADHD

Olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.