Bipolar Disorder Home > Symbyax Side Effects
Some of the most common Symbyax side effects include drowsiness and weight gain. Although these side effects are minor and easily treated, some side effects are serious and may require immediate medical attention. Notify your healthcare provider right away if you notice side effects of Symbyax such as a large or rapid weight gain, suicidal thoughts or behavior, or any abnormal muscle movements.
An Introduction to Symbyax Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Symbyax® (olanzapine and fluoxetine). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Symbyax. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Symbyax side effects with you.)
Common Symbyax Side EffectsSymbyax has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and then compared to the side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Symbyax side effects included:
- Increased triglycerides -- in up to 67.8 percent of people
- Increased cholesterol levels -- up to 35 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 25 percent (see Symbyax and Weight Gain)
- Increased appetite -- up to 20 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 15 percent (see Symbyax and Dry Mouth)
- Drowsiness -- up to 14 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 12 percent.
Some other common Symbyax side effects (occurring in 2 to 9 percent of people) included:
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal bloating
- Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, hands, or feet
- General water retention or swelling
- Joint pain
- Arm or leg pain
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Problems maintaining attention
- Abnormal thinking
- Sexual problems (see Symbyax Sexual Side Effects).