Bipolar Disorder Home > Symbyax Overdose
If you take too much Symbyax, overdose symptoms can include confusion, seizures, and an irregular heart rhythm. Treatment for a recent overdose may involve administering certain medications or pumping the stomach. If a person's body has already absorbed the medicine, however, treatment will usually involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of taking too much Symbyax.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much Symbyax?
Symbyax® (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is a medication that is used to treat depression associated with bipolar disorder and treatment-resistant depression. As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to take too much Symbyax.
The specific effects of a Symbyax overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Symbyax was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, drugs, and/or alcohol.
Symptoms of a Symbyax OverdoseIf a person overdoses on Symbyax, the symptoms can vary. Some commonly reported symptoms include:
- Coordination problems
- Speech problems
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Loss of life.
The treatment for a Symbyax overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach."
However, once the drug has been absorbed into the body, there is no treatment that can remove it quickly. Therefore, in these cases, treatment typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Seizure medications or medications for other complications
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Symbyax.