Bipolar Disorder Home > Geodon Overdose
As with all medications, it is possible to take too much Geodon. Overdose symptoms may include irregular heart rhythms, drowsiness, slurred speech, and unusual body movements. For a recent Geodon overdose, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or "pump the stomach." Once the medication has been absorbed into the body, however, treatment will involve supportive care -- which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Geodon® (ziprasidone hydrochloride) is a medication that is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to overdose on Geodon. The specific Geodon overdose effects will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Geodon was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, drugs, and/or alcohol.
If a person overdoses on Geodon, the symptoms can vary. Some commonly reported symptoms of a Geodon overdose include:
- Slurred speech
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Twitching, shakiness, or other unusual body movements
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
The treatment for a Geodon overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." However, once Geodon has been absorbed into the body, there is no treatment that can remove it quickly. Therefore, in these cases, treatment involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Arrhythmia medications or medications for other complications
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Geodon.