Bipolar Disorder Home > Equetro and Dry Mouth
Side effects are possible with Equetro, and dry mouth has been reported in up to 8 percent of people taking Equetro during clinical studies. Among the things that can help with a dry mouth are sucking on hard candy and sipping water or sugarless drinks often. If you are taking Equetro and dry mouth continues to be a problem, your healthcare provider may recommend artificial saliva, adjust your medication, or switch you to a different medication.
An Overview of Equetro and Dry MouthA dry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Equetro® (carbamazepine). In clinical studies, up to 8 percent of people taking Equetro reported having a dry mouth, compared to just 3 percent of those not taking Equetro.
Suggestions for Equetro and Dry MouthIf you are taking Equetro and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a few things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier; it may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol, because they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, because they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
If you develop a dry mouth while taking Equetro and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva products. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Equetro dosage or try another bipolar disorder medication.