Bipolar Disorder Home > Depakote Dosage
For migraine prevention, the recommended starting dose is Depakote 250 mg twice daily. If needed, your healthcare provider can increase your dose up to 500 mg twice daily.
Some considerations for people taking Depakote include:
- Depakote comes in delayed-release tablets and "sprinkle capsules."
- Depakote can be taken with or without food. If the drug upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush, break, or chew Depakote tablets, as this will destroy the protective coating.
- Depakote Sprinkle capsules can be swallowed whole or can be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of soft food (such as pudding or applesauce). Do not chew the contents, as each tiny bead is delayed-release, with a special protective coating.
- Depakote should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Depakote will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Depakote dosing in general, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Depakote Withdrawal).