Bipolar Disorder Home > Abilify Side Effects
Anxiety, headaches, and insomnia are among the common side effects reported with Abilify. Side effects that are not as common include hemorrhoids, gas, and acne. Certain side effects are more serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These can include feelings of restlessness or jitteriness, high blood pressure, or abnormal muscle movements.
As with any medicine, side effects can occur with Abilify® (aripiprazole). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Abilify well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Abilify. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Abilify side effects with you.)
Abilify has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Abilify side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people
- A sedated feeling -- up to 23 percent
- Agitation -- up to 19 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 18 percent (see Abilify and Insomnia)
- Fatigue -- up to 17 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 17 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 15 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 14 percent
- Restlessness -- up to 12 percent
- Constipation -- up to 11 percent.
Some other common side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 10 percent of people) included:
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Weight gain (see Abilify and Weight Gain)
- Dry mouth (see Abilify and Dry Mouth)
- Joint pain
- Throat pain
- Blurred vision
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Nasal congestion
- Increased salivation
- Swelling or water retention in the arms, legs, or feet.