Does Lithium Cause a Dry Mouth?
, Eskalith CR®
) is a prescription medication approved to treat bipolar disorder
(also known as manic depression
). Like other medications, it can cause side effects. One of the possible side effects of lithium
is a dry mouth. However, as is common with older medications like lithium, the exact percentage of people who developed a dry mouth while taking the drug was not reported.
Lithium and Dry Mouth: Suggestions
If you are experiencing a dry mouth while taking lithium, there are a number of things that you can do that may provide relief. Some of these suggestions include the following:
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Be aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.