At this time, all lithium products are available in generic forms. Generic lithium is available in capsules, tablets, extended-release tablets, and syrup. Several companies manufacture generic lithium, including Apotex Corp., Barr Laboratories, and Major Pharmaceuticals. As is common among older medications, most of the companies that make brand-name lithium medications have chosen to stop making such products.
Generic Lithium: An OverviewLithium (Eskalith®, Eskalith CR®, Lithobid®) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression). Currently, all lithium products are available in generic forms.
- Lithium carbonate 150 mg capsules
- Lithium carbonate 300 mg capsules (generic for Eskalith)
- Lithium carbonate 600 mg capsules
- Lithium carbonate 300 mg tablets
- Lithium carbonate 300 mg extended-release tablets (generic for Lithobid)
- Lithium carbonate 450 mg extended-release tablets (generic for Eskalith CR)
- Lithium citrate syrup, containing 8 mEq lithium per 5 mL, which is equivalent to 300 mg lithium carbonate per 5 mL or per teaspoonful.
- Apotex Corp.
- Barr Laboratories
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Morton Grove Pharmaceuticals
- Roxane Laboratories
- UDL Laboratories
- West Ward Pharmaceuticals.
Are Brand-Name Lithium Products Still Available?Most of the companies that make brand-name lithium medications have chosen to stop making such products. For instance, GlaxoSmithKline has chosen to stop making Eskalith and Eskalith CR. This is common among older medications, such as lithium. However, Lithobid, a brand-name, extended-release lithium product, is still available.