Lamotrigine Side Effects
Common Lamotrigine Side EffectsLamotrigine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of lamotrigine included:
- Dizziness -- in up to 54 percent of people
- Double vision -- up to 49 percent
- Headaches -- up to 29 percent
- Coordination problems -- up to 28 percent
- Blurred vision -- up to 25 percent
- Nausea -- up to 25 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 20 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 5 to 20 percent of people, included:
- Irritated or runny nose
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Insomnia (see Lamictal and Insomnia)
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Back pain
- Flu-like symptoms (such as body aches or chills)
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Painful menstrual cramps
- Dry mouth (see Lamictal and Dry Mouth)
- Chest pain
- Weight loss (see Lamictal and Weight Loss).