Geodon Side Effects
Nausea, headaches, and dizziness are some of the most common side effects reported with Geodon. Side effects that are less common (occurring in less than 2 percent of people taking the drug) include eczema, dry eyes, and nosebleed. Some side effects of Geodon are more serious and should be reported to a healthcare provider, such as abnormal muscle movements, high blood pressure, and anxiety.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Geodon® (ziprasidone hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Geodon well. If side effects occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Geodon. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Geodon side effects with you.)
Geodon has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Geodon side effects included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 31 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 18 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 10 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 10 percent (see Geodon and Weight Gain)
- Constipation -- up to 9 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 8 percent
- Respiratory tract infections -- up to 8 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 6 percent of people) included:
- Vision problems
- Accidental injury
- Dry mouth (see Geodon and Dry Mouth)
- An irritated or runny nose
- Increased salivation
- Chest pain
- A sore throat
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Loss of appetite
- Fungal infections
- Difficulty swallowing
- Muscle pain
- Speech problems.