For most people who are initially beginning schizophrenia treatment with Geodon, dosing starts at 20 mg twice a day. The recommended starting dose for the treatment of bipolar disorder is 40 mg twice daily. If needed, your healthcare provider can increase your Geodon dose up to a maximum of 80 mg twice per day. Among the factors that can affect the Geodon dosage your healthcare provider recommends are the medical condition being treated and the severity of your condition.
An Introduction to Geodon Dosage
The dose of Geodon® (ziprasidone hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Geodon dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Geodon Dosing for Schizophrenia
The recommended starting dose of Geodon for schizophrenia is 20 mg twice daily with food. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your Geodon dose up to a maximum of 80 mg twice daily.
Geodon Dosing for Bipolar Disorder
The recommended starting dose of Geodon for bipolar disorder is 40 mg twice daily with food. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your Geodon dose up to a maximum of Geodon 80 mg twice daily.
General Geodon Dosage Information
Some considerations for people taking Geodon include:
- Geodon comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- Geodon should be taken with food, since taking the medication on an empty stomach decreases the absorption of Geodon into your body.
- Geodon should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For Geodon to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Geodon dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Geodon without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Geodon Withdrawal).