When and How to Take EskalithThe following are some general considerations for when and how to take Eskalith:
- It comes in capsule form, while Eskalith CR comes in the form of an extended-release tablet. The medication is taken by mouth, usually twice daily.
- You can take Eskalith or Eskalith CR with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The tablets should not be chewed, crushed, or broken. They should be swallowed whole.
- Eskalith or Eskalith CR should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medications to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. The medications will not work if you stop taking them.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Eskalith that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Eskalith
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Lithium Dosage for more information.)
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Eskalith. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Eskalith include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting.
(Click Lithium Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
You can also read about specific side effects in the following eMedTV articles: