Depakote Side Effects
Some side effects of Depakote, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of liver damage, such as yellow eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Signs of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), such as:
- Severe abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Worsening of seizures
- Low body temperature (below 95 degrees F), known as hypothermia
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling
Suicidal thinking or behavior (see Seizure Medications and Suicide).
Final Thoughts on Depakote Side Effects
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the Depakote side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking Depakote or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.