Problems With Abilify
Abilify® (aripiprazole) is a medication commonly prescribed for the treatment of schizophrenia, autism, and bipolar disorder. It is also approved to be used along with antidepressants for treating major depression. Although most people respond well to this drug, it is possible to develop problems with Abilify.
In these studies, the most common Abilify side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 27 percent of people
- A sedated feeling -- up to 23 percent
- Agitation -- up to 19 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 18 percent (see Abilify and Insomnia)
- Fatigue -- up to 17 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 17 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 15 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 14 percent
- Restlessness -- up to 12 percent
- Constipation -- up to 11 percent.
In most cases, side effects of Abilify are minor and either do not require medical attention or can be treated easily. However, it is possible to develop potentially serious problems with Abilify that should be reported to a healthcare provider immediately. Seek medical attention right away if you experience rapid or excessive weight gain, suicidal thoughts, any abnormal muscle movements, or a painful erection of the penis that does not go away.
(Click Abilify Side Effects for a list of other common side effects seen with Abilify and to find out which other problems may require immediate medical attention.)