Dose of Abilify for Major DepressionThe recommended starting Abilify dose for treating major depression (when used along with an antidepressant) in adults is 2 mg to 5 mg once daily. The effective dose is usually Abilify 5 to 10 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider should not increase your Abilify dose more frequently than once a week. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase the dose up to 15 mg once daily.
The recommended starting dose of Abilify for autistic disorder in children 6 through 17 years old is 2 mg once daily. If necessary to control the irritability symptoms, your child's healthcare provider may increase the dose gradually up to 15 mg once daily.
Some considerations for people taking Abilify include:
- Abilify comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- It does not matter if you take Abilify with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form of Abilify is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Abilify is also available in tablets that are meant to dissolve rapidly in the mouth. These tablets are called Abilify Discmelt® tablets. They do not need to be taken with water. Carefully remove Abilify Discmelt tablets by peeling pack the foil (not pushing the tablet), as they are delicate and are easily broken. Do not cut or split Abilify Discmelt tablets.
- Your healthcare provider may need to adjust your Abilify dosage if you are taking certain medications that interact with Abilify (see Abilify Drug Interactions).
- Abilify should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For Abilify to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Abilify dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Abilify without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Abilify Withdrawal).