Abilify and Dry Mouth
There are many possible side effects of Abilify, and dry mouth has been reported in up to 5 percent of people taking the drug. If you are taking Abilify and this problem occurs, there are a number of things that you can do, such as chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy; avoiding drinks with caffeine; and sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
Abilify® (aripiprazole) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia, depression, and bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression). Like other medicines, it can cause side effects. One of these possible side effects of Abilify is a dry mouth. In previous clinical studies, up to 5 percent of people reported dry mouth as one of Abilify's side effects.
If you are taking Abilify and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.